GREYHAWK CY963 GOLDEN ERA CAMPAIGN: HEROES OF DYVERS: CHAPTER 4

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
XP AWARD POST

Ok, folks, time to award XP for recent actions and combat.

GM:

Story Arc #1: Kleborn Joins The Group. +1,000 xp. each.
Story Arc #2: Discovery of the Teleport Circles. +500 xp. each.

Excellent Roleplaying, All Around: +1,000 xp. each.

Bardic Ambush of the Giant-Kin Patrol: +500 xp. each.

Combat Awards:

Golem Fight: CR 11 vs. Average Party Level (8th) = 7,200 / 8 = 900 xp. each.

Giant-Kin Patrol: 11,200 / 7 = 1,600 xp. each.

Patrol Breakdown:
Hill Giant #1 = CR 8 (2,400)
Hill Giant #2 = CR 7 (1,600)
Trolls = CR 5 (x2) (800 x 2 = 1,600)
Ogres = CR 3 (x3) (400 x 3 = 1,200)
Ogre Leader = CR 7 (1,600)
Orcs = CR 3 (x5) (400 x 5 = 2,000)
Orc Leader = CR 5 (800)

============================================
GRAND TOTAL BASE XP AWARD: Each party member receives 5,500 xp.
(Except for Respen, who didn't fight the Giants): Respen = 3,900 xp.
============================================

Individual Bonus XP Awards:

Story Arc #3: Respen making the best of a bad situation: +1,000 xp. to Respen.
Story Arc #4: Discovering Dame Clare's plans / lair location / background history: +1,000 xp. to Respen.
Total Bonus XP For Respen: +2,000 xp.

Making The DM Laugh: +500 xp. to Kleborn.
Total Bonus XP For Kleborn: +500 xp.

Taking The Lead / Stepping On The Circle: +500 xp. to Lathir.
Taking A 20 (Great Idea!): +200 xp. to Lathir.
Total Bonus XP For Lathir: +700 xp.

Down To The River (Ballad): +250 xp. to Sylvar.
Facing The Carnage (Ballad): +250 xp. to Sylvar.
Well-Worded Suggestion: +250 xp. to Sylvar.
Saving Vale's Bacon By Reminding DM About Grease Spell: +500 xp. to Sylvar.
Total Bonus XP For Sylvar: +1,250 xp.

Bonding With The Axe: +500 xp. to Vale.
Total Bonus XP For Vale: +500 xp.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
LOOT!

The party takes about 30 minutes to loot the bodies of their fallen foes, and to take a look at the smashed caravan, which had been driven by Humans and Elves, which the patrol had been in the process of looting.

GM:
Individual Treasure:
(This treasure was derived from looting the bodies; it represents the spoils that the monsters had earned, either as direct payment for services as a soldier, or as "fair share" of loot from raiding.)

6 Masterwork Chainmail Shirts (Medium-sized) w/ Pomarj emblem (Two of which will need repairs to the abdomen area)
6 Masterwork Falchions (Medium-sized) w/ Pomarj emblem
6 Masterwork Composite Short Bows (Set for 21 Str) w/ Pomarj Emblem
6 Quivers / 20 Arrows Each
Ogre Leader's Hide Armor [Large-sized] (looks WAY better than the others)
Ogre Leader's Greatclub [Large-sized] (looks WAY better than the others)
Ogre Leader's Ring (Platinum, set with an emerald)
3 Masterwork Javelins [Large-sized] from the Ogre Leader
9 Normal Quality Javelins [Large-sized] from the Ogres
3 Normal Quality Greatclubs [Large-sized] from the Ogres
3 Poor Quality Hide Armors [Large-sized] from the Ogres
2 Masterwork Greatclubs [Large-sized] from the Giants
2 Masterwork Hide Armors [Large-sized] from the Giants
50 pp.
16,323 sp.
10,049 cp.

1 Wand, Fully Charged (50)
Potion (Light Green Liquid)
[sblock=10 Gems]
10 Gems:
1. Blue Sapphire (wow)
2. Emerald (wow)
3. Moss Agate
4. Bloodstone
5. Jasper
6. Star Rose Quartz
7. Moonstone
8. Onyx
9. Peridot
10.Black Opal (wow)

[/sblock]

GM:
Treasure from the Caravan:

4 Suits of Masterwork Chainmail (From the Humans)
4 Suits of Elven Chainmail (From the Elves)
4 Masterwork Large Steel Shields (From the Humans)
4 Masterwork Longswords (From the Humans)
4 Masterwork Longbows (From the Humans)
4 Quivers of 20 Arrows Each (From the Humans)
4 Masterwork Greatswords (From the Elves)
4 Masterwork Composite Longbows [Set for 16 Str] (From the Elves)
4 Quivers of 20 Arrows Each; Arrows are OBVIOUSLY MAGICAL, made from heartwood, with yellow runes! (From the Elves)

(All of the Elven equipment bears the mark of the Kingdom of Celene)
(All of the Human equipment bears the mark of the Kingdom of Furyondy)

13,179 gp.
Iron Rations (Enough for 20 people to last for 14 days; i.e., 280 days for 1 person.)
6,000 gp. worth of rare spices
2,000 gp. worth of fine silk (10 bolts, 200 gp. per bolt.)
8,000 gp. worth of Elven Wine (10 barrels, 800 gp. per barrel.)
5,000 gp. worth of Wintershiven Ale (10 barrels, 500 gp. per barrel.)

You get the idea that the 8 armored people were mercenaries, probably soldiers from Furyondy and Celene who were recently discharged from service from their respective armies. The other 12 people, 2 Elves, and 10 Humans, look to be merchants, who had probably been their employers. Evidently, the merchants went to great lengths to hire strong, skilled mercenaries, but even these elite guards were no match for the patrol.

Of the 5 wagons, 4 are smashed, but one is still serviceable. You could probably fit all of the loot onto the remaining wagon, with the exception of the foodstuffs. There is probably only room enough for about 40 days worth of rations, after everything else is loaded.

Of the 10 horses, 6 are dead, and 4 are badly wounded.

EVERYONE: WHAT DO YOU DO?

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Supplemental Info

GM:
DM Note:

Here is an overall map of the greater area that the party has covered:

00 - Realms - Map - 001.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: Dyvers is on the far right of the map; Geoff is on the far left. Celene is Southwest of Dyvers. Hochoch is just South of the Dim Forest; based on how hilly the terrain is, you suspect that you are in the forested hills of the Oyt Wood.

The caravan that was raided was probably owned by the Elven merchants; their Human comrades were probably their trading partners. Caravans are known to travel between Enstad (the Elven Celenian capitol) and Gorna (capitol city of the Human kingdom known as The Grand Duchy of Geoff); the normal trade route is: Enstad to Waybury to Shiboleth to Hochoch to Gorna. These merchants were well-protected, and also well-funded, and were probably counting on their ability to bribe their way through any serious difficulties that the guards couldn't handle. It was, unfortunately, a fatal mis-calculation on their part.

Last edited:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar looks around. Here is my suggestion. Vale, heal as many of the horses as you can. Everyone else lets load as much loot as we can into the remaining good cart, leaving the troll and ogre weapons and armor. The Pomarj goods will be enough to prove our story that we didn't waylay the caravan ourselves. We need to get out of here before another patrol comes along. We head south toward Gorna and find a place to rest for the evening. We sell the gear when we get to Gorna and figure out a way to get back to Dyvers, or see if we can disrupt the Drow's plans from here. Without waiting for anyone else, Sylvar starts loading gear into the wagon.

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir retrieves his spear from its planted location.
"I agree with Sylvar in that we need to be moving on as soon as possible, but this load of supplies was headed South. I think we should see it to its destination.

I too can assist with healing the horses. Between the Vale and I, we may be able to recover all of them. I do not need any of this particular gear that I can see, but all of it should be of considerable worth, especially at its intended destination
."

Lathir uses what remaining cure spells as necessary to recover the horses.

Afterward, he too helps load the wagon, tethering a team of horses to it and taking the time to comfort and calm the animals, readying them for travel.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
The Axe Has Something To Say!

Of the wounded horses, their conditions are:

Horse #1: -2 [unconscious, bleeding out]
Horse #2: 0 [unconscious, stable]
Horse #3: 0 [unconscious, stable]
Horse #4: -1 [unconscious, bleeding out]

GM:
These are Light Draft Horses. They have the same stats as Light Warhorses, except that they are not trained for combat. Each of these horses has 22 hit points when they are at full health. Thus, they will need a total of 91 points worth of healing. Any less than that, and their max load and overland speed will decrease by a relative percentage.

Vale's Axe speaks up: "I ain't deaf, ya know. I know you fellows realize that the rest of these cretins are based somewhere in the North. And yet, what do I hear? I hear the lot of you planning to trundle off South, like a bunch of sod-busters headed to market. You might as well trade in your swords for plowshares right now, and be done with it! ...Vale, my boy, surely you aren't going along with this? Please tell me you have a spine left? Please tell me that you're not going to turn a blind eye like the rest of these cowardly misfits?"

EVERYONE: What do you do?

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar looks the axe as he continues loading gear into the wagon and says, " tell me, since you're so eager to fight them all, do you know how many enemies there are in the main camp? Will they know of our coming? Where are their scouts? As we walk down this ambush inviting Canyon toward them how do we protect ourselves from an attack? Where can we rest to replenish our spells? Hmmmmmm? Sure it sounds great to run headlong into a fight, but without proper planning and fore knowledge it would be suicide. We aren't turning a blind eye, we are making a tactical retreat...we need to rest and recuperate and we need more information, and time to plan. Then we can attack, or not attack.

Last edited:

Aust Thale

Adventurer
The Best Laid Plans of the Band of Brothers...and The Axe...Who Sometimes Should STFU.

Of the wounded horses, their conditions are:

Horse #1: -2 [unconscious, bleeding out]
Horse #2: 0 [unconscious, stable]
Horse #3: 0 [unconscious, stable]
Horse #4: -1 [unconscious, bleeding out]

GM:
These are Light Draft Horses. They have the same stats as Light Warhorses, except that they are not trained for combat. Each of these horses has 22 hit points when they are at full health. Thus, they will need a total of 91 points worth of healing. Any less than that, and their max load and overland speed will decrease by a relative percentage.

Vale's Axe speaks up: "I ain't deaf, ya know. I know you fellows realize that the rest of these cretins are based somewhere in the North. And yet, what do I hear? I hear the lot of you planning to trundle off South, like a bunch of sod-busters headed to market. You might as well trade in your swords for plowshares right now, and be done with it! ...Vale, my boy, surely you aren't going along with this? Please tell me you have a spine left? Please tell me that you're not going to turn a blind eye like the rest of these cowardly misfits?"

EVERYONE: What do you do?

~ First things first. Val, be silent for a moment. These animals require assistance. We will have our chance to 'beat the children' soon enough. ~

Vale moves to heal the horses, first the bleeding out horses to make them stable, and then the stable horses. He calms them. "There, there. I know this hurts. I shall endeavor to make it better."
OOC: Using spell or spell slots: Healing Cure Serious Wounds (x2) 19, 20; Cure Moderate Wounds (x1) 19; Cure Light Wounds (x2) 11, 9

"Lathir, good fellow, would you kindly lend a light touch to bring our four-legged friends back to us. Perhaps you can speak with them to find out more? "

Vale continues to sooth the horses.
OOC: Handle Animal Skill = 15

"Gents, my loquacious blade has a point, even if his diplomatic skills leave much to be desired. Elf, I hear ye. We need to collect ourselves. It has been a most mind-numbing day of battle and adventure. We acquired more than our share of spoils, and we have lost a comrade. I think we need to regroup, and we should do so out of this canyon. However, I do not wish to move into the human lands. What we have acquired will be contested, and we will become lost in another kind of trap, whether we take the ogres' and orcs' gear or not. I'd remind you, what shall we do with Thallock? It isn't as if he would be treated as a friend. This is likely the last leg of the caravan route. It's a long walk with little upside. I believe we should move north until we move out of this canyon. Let's seek higher ground where we can camp unnoticed away from this road. We can wake in the morn, and from there map out our approach. Perhaps we can continue these tactics. Eventually, they could bring a larger force, and we can slip behind them. The humans will likely expect this caravan. When it comes up missing, they will send their own forces. It might serve our purpose that they engage these brigands at our backs."

OOC: DM: Is there any clear indication of which direction would be the quickest out of the canyon, direction notwithstanding?

"Thallock, I have wanted to ask you a question the last hour or so. I did not encounter them myself, but Sylar, Lathir, and Dewydd were among those who encountered manticore-mounted fiendish orcs moving along a route east of Caltaran, between the main Dyvers road and the sea. Would you know what these were up to, and if so, might we encounter them here?"

After using his healing spells to help and calm the horses, Vale throws his back into settling the barrels, bolt of cloth, spices, armor, and weapons. He then bags the coins, and he separates what appear to be magic items from the rest of the loot.

He culls some of the gear out of the rest, including the 9 Normal Quality Javelins [Large-sized] from the Ogres, which he places one in each of the bodies of the elves and humans, and praying, "Rest easy and forgive my transgression, as I desire to deceive the evil who did this to you. May you rest in peace, and in the knowledge that you are not forgotten, and you will continue to be avenged." He culls the 3 Normal Quality Greatclubs [Large-sized] from the Ogres and the 3 Poor Quality Hide Armors [Large-sized] from the Ogres also, leaving them in a pile next to the canyon wall.

"This rubbish will slow us down." Before tossing the hide armor, he removes all of the straps for it, and cobbles together undamaged and partially damaged saddlebags for the horses. "Hopefully, two horses should be enough to pull the wagon, so the other two horses can carry some additional rations."

Vale moves quickly to pack the wagon and horses carefully. After all, he was a military quartermaster. This isn't his first attempt at moving much with little.

OOC: Military Quartermaster: #1d20+9=15

Waynan

Adventurer
Tam-Tam lets the others decide what course of action the party should take from here. The rain made everything miserable; but, the hope of some fine treasures brightened him a little. He so desperately wanted to ask about the Elven arrows. Did they hold magic? Were they true in flight?

What he knew about Elves, the few that he had met prior to joining this merry band, is that they were superb craftsmen in many ways. There love of the bow would surely be represented by magic elven arrows.

Of course, Tam_Tam could speak Elven, but reading it was a different matter. And though he recognized many of the words, Elves were sometimes notorious for phrasing things in a way that could be easily misinterpreted by a non-Elf. So --- there was nothing for it but to ask.

"Excuse me. Um, could someone help me decipher the script on these arrows. If they are truly magical, I would surely like to have a quiver of them to help in our battles against any new foes we may encounter during our adventures."

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar removes one set of Elven mail...If no one gives a care I'd like to use this Elven chainmail. We can subtract its price from my share of the spoils. Sylvar speaks Elvish and so walks over and reads the script on the arrows.

Remove ads