• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Endur's Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil

Xael

First Post
"I'm pretty sure anything we do to this will attract attention. We could just try to lift it by brute force and slip to other side, but that would leave us in a pretty bad position. Though that seems to happen however we get to the other side, and that seems to be pretty much the only option we have for now.", Lylamwyn says in a somewhat silent voice.

"And we'd better be prepared for trouble once we get to the other side."

Last edited:

Endur

First Post
OOC: How far away does the winch mechanism appear to be from the portcullis?

You don't actually see the winch mechanism, its concealed by the stonework. So you have no idea how far away it is.

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Xael said:
"I'm pretty sure anything we do to this will attract attention. We could just try to lift it by brute force and slip to other side, but that would leave us in a pretty bad position. Though that seems to happen however we get to the other side, and that seems to be pretty much the only option we have for now.", Lylamwyn says in a somewhat silent voice.

"And we'd better be prepared for trouble once we get to the other side."

"Perhaps better, then to keep it from closing. If we could wedge it open, and then bend it to press against its frame, it couldn't fall.

"The only problem is that my summoning spell doesn't last very long."

Xael

First Post
"We could try to pile some junk from the rooms we've been in under it to stop it from reaching ground. I doubt we can bend it. And I can turn Craven giant-sized to help us lift this thing. You should probably save your summons, unless you're planning to send it to find that winch while invisible, which would be pretty risky, since there probably are guards near it."

"Or we could always just lift this thing enough to get to the others side, and hope we dispatch the guards fast enough."

Thanee

First Post
Lenya

“I can see, if there is some magic beyond, but otherwise, I will be of little help in opening this. Maybe Belaver can slip through them?”

Lenya then concentrates to detect any magical auras, that lie near or beyond the portcullis.

Endur

First Post
Lenya does not see any magic or unseen things in the corridor other than the magical items the party brought with them.

Endur

First Post
The Way is Open

Craven and Raner attempt to lift the portcullis. It does not budge.

Raner steps away.

Lylamwyn casts a spell that causes Craven to grow to the size of an Ogre.

Craven tries to lift the portcullis it goes up about a foot but he can not maintain the lift and it starts going down.

Raner edges in on the right side beside Craven and helps. It does not go down further, but they can't raise it past a foot.

Toriah edges in on the left side beside Craven and helps. The three of them manage to raise the portcullis to a level of three feet.

Their groans and efforts make it clear that they can not raise it any further or hold it much longer at this level.

Belaver summons a Creature of Stone in the ceiling. The creature of Stone moves the stonework closer to the iron portcullis, locking the portcullis in place.

The party ducks underneath the portcullis and awaits any response from guardians.

No guards have responded to the noises the party made in lifting the portcullis. Both spells (Enlarge Person and Summon Nature's Ally 2) have expired.

The party is in a T intersection, the corridor goes left and right. Both corridors appear to be winding (which might prevent sound from traveling far, lessening the chance of anyone having heard your efforts on the portcullis).

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads