• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Endur's Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil

Xael

First Post
Round 1

Lylamwyn casts Grease at the feet of the Gnoll and behind it (so that it doesn't affect his friends), or at the Gnoll's Longsword if the area next to the Gnoll is too crowded. "We could of course try to take this one alive, but don't sweat it...", he says, trying not to sound worried.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Lenya

Lenya continues to zap the gnoll with her frightening eldritch blast, hoping to do better than with the initial attack.

Seonaid

Explorer
Toriah attacks the gnoll with passion, cursing silently the while.

Sorry about the delay. The culmination of a weeks' long project was yesterday and now that I'm caught up on sleep and my stress level has receded, I'm much better and can post regularly--I promise. :)

Endur

First Post
Round 2

20: Kerwyn loads and fires his crossbow, but misses due to his companions in the way(14+)
20: Craven (-12) swings his warhammer at the Gnoll, but misses (6+6=12)
18: Lenya fires a frightening blast of flames at the gnoll and hits (hit 18+, save 19+, dmg 7)
18: Belaver (-7) slings a rock at the Gnoll and hits (hit 15+5=20, dmg 3)
18: Neshi tries to bite the Gnoll again (5+7=12 miss)
18: Black Cat bites and claws the Gnoll (5 miss, 8 miss, 20/9 hit but do not confirm, dmg 1)

The Gnoll falls to the ground, poisoned and bleeding to death.

Searching the gnoll, you discover a masterwork long sword, a masterwork short sword, +1 studded leather armor, a magical broach of some sort, a shortbow, and 20 arrows.

The room you are figthing in has nothing much of value except for the lantern, the scalemail the skeletons wore, and the locked iron box. There are also three doors in this room, one which leads into an empty closet, one which just has a wall behind the door, and the third door, which you know leads further into the dungeon from Spugnoir's map.

The room the Gnoll came from is odd in shape and wall's chambers are stained and scored with signs from a fire long ago. A wooden bed with a mattress of straw is against the western wall, and an unlocked small iron box sits next to it. On top of the box is a pipe and some tobacco, a whetstone and a stoneware cup full of some dark liquid. In the northernmost portion of the room is another black cloak with a flaming eye symbol, covered in dust but otherwise in good shape.

Last edited:

Seonaid

Explorer
Toriah takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly. After the moment passes, he says, "Shoul' we take th' cloaks? Seems 't woul' be easier t' sneak about if we had some disguise."

Endur

First Post
ooc: For disguise purposes, so far you have found: 11 black cloaks with no insignia (one from each gnoll), 2 dusty black cloaks with a flaming eye insignia, and eleven medallions (one from each gnoll) with the black iron triangle with an upside down Y inscribed within that Spugnoir said was the symbol of the Temple of Elemental Evil.

Xael

First Post
"I don't think we look much like Gnolls.", Lylamwyn ansvers to Toriah. "I don't get this door here, and the one earlier.", he continues while pointing at the door which has a wall behind it. "There's no point to them. They're too obvious places for secret doors - which doesn't mean we don't need to check them - and pointless otherwise."

"But there's two boxes around here. They might have something useful in them, but it's best to be careful. They might be trapped or something, not to mention the other one is locked. Kerwyn or Toriah?"

Lylamwyn then goes to poke the wall just behind the door with his dagger. He tries to find a secret door or figure out if the wall is an illusion.

Endur

First Post
Studying the door with the fake wall, Lylamwyn notices a cunning pulley system attached to the door frame. Its possible that opening and closing the door interacts in some fashion with the portcullis you bypassed earlier.

When Kerwyn and Toriah study the locked iron box, it looks like a normal locked iron box.

When Kerwyn uses the goggles he "borrowed" from Spugnoir, Kerwyn notices all sorts of arcane writing on the box and around the lock. Kerwyn knows he saw these symbols on one of the tests he took in school, but is pretty sure it was on one of the tests he failed.

The unlocked iron box in the other room looks normal to the goggles and has nothing of value in it to anyone other than a gnoll.

Last edited:

Remove ads